Monday, August 4, 2014

Motivational Monday Linky Party

I'm joining The Compelled Educator (Jennifer Hogan) for a Motivational Linky Party!


Today is the first day back to school for teachers in my district.

I feel like I've been working all summer.  I taught summer school in June, I spent half of July prepping and recording videos to flip my Algebra 1 classes, and I spent 4 days near the end of July at Year 3 training for NMSI/LTF (National Math and Science Initiative/Laying the Foundation). The school section of my brain just hasn't wanted to shut down.

But it's all good!  I'm excited about the coming year and ready to give it all I've got!

How do I stay motivated?  Well, we all know motivation comes and goes as the school year moves along.

Where do I find motivation when it is lacking?  I found this cute card on my Pinterest board that describes one of my sources of motivation.

I find motivation in thank-yous from former students and parents.  Former students express their appreciation through hugs and exclamations of  "I miss you!" when they see me. Parents most often send emails.  I'm not sure how it works, but I usually receive such emails when I need a pick-me-up the most.  And they will never know how much it means for them to take the time to say, "Thanks."

I would advise every new teacher to make a designated folder to keep encouraging notes.  And if you're a veteran teacher without such a folder, start one. Reading those notes from time to time give a measurable motivational boost.

And take the time to thank the people who have made a difference in your life.  They need to know.  And it will be a motivating factor in their journeys, too.

8 comments:

  1. Have a great first day! I found that my summer was busy as well - lots of curriculum work, classes, teaching, and now all of a sudden it's August. I also think that notes and emails are incredible sources of motivation and collect them as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I hope you have a great year!

      Delete
  2. One of our principals read one of his notes during our faculty meeting, and it had me in tears. He encouraged us to not only read them on the hard days, but on the good ones too. Anytime we can be reminded about why we really do what we do, we should do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of reading saved notes on good days, too. They never fail to make me smile. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. The easy life of the teacher is the summer is not so easy after all. I wouldn't change it for the world though. Kind words from former students is the greatest gift. I can be given awards, recognition by peers or the community, but nothing means as much as hearing a young man or lady who spent a year with me say, "Thanks."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Thanks for taking time to read and comment.

      Delete
  4. What a great tip for new teachers to create a folder and keep thank you notes in it. I do that each year and just put a heart with the school year on the tab. I print emails, and save notes and cards, as well as sticky notes. The knowledge that I made a difference for someone is awesome motivation!
    Thanks for joining the linky party!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete