Monday, March 23, 2015

Sharing My Passion With Others. Eek!




It seems like the only way I get any blogging done anymore is to be assigned a Flash Blog by #flipclass.

But that's not a bad thing, right?

We're talking about conferences tonight. Attending them, presenting at them.

I've blogged about my most recent conference experiences: my last year of Laying the Foundation training and my very first EdCamp experience.

I'm now lined up to present at 2 events: next week's professional development day at school and the North Alabama Technology Conference in June. Both about flipping my classroom.

EEEK! What have I done????

I LOVE my flipped classroom. I've shared about it with whomever has asked.

But that's always been with someone who's interested or curious enough to ask me about it.

I'm not too worried about the technology conference; those attendees will WANT to be there and will have CHOSEN to come to my session.

But a required professional development day?

I love my coworkers. I really do. But I know how they feel about things like this. I know how a few of them feel about technology and new ways to use it. And I know how they feel about math.

Am I going to be burned at the stake? Seen as a traitor? And worst of all, talked about in the faculty lounge and at the lunch table? ;)

I want to share my passion. I want to share why I made the choice to flip. I want to share all the amazing benefits I've seen from it. I want to share the resources that have been such a big help to me.

But I want to do it in a way that's at least a little bit intriguing and engaging for a captive audience.

And I have 10 days to figure out how to do it.

I'm ready. I'm willing. It's just time to have that "a-ha" moment that comes when I'm figuring out how to do things with my students.

We all know adults are much harder than students. :)

Any and all advice is appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if this is helpful, but I'll offer it anyway.

    Think back to what made #flipclass click for you. Try to recreate that for your audience. We like to start with a google form asking about preconceptions and feelings about flip, along with questions they have right now. Then we deal with that stuff.

    Something else that helps is video - students working, students talking, students showing how awesome they are and how different your class is for them. Seeing that, along with sample work, is almost like being in your classroom.

    If that's helpful, great. If not, I know you'll be fine! You know what you're talking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is incredibly helpful. Thank you so much for your input!

      Delete
  2. I feel the same way as you. I just want to share my passion with others. When others look down at me for loving tech and what it has done to help my students, it makes me feel bad. I have had to tell myself that I can't change everyone and some people do listen. Also, if I feel like no one is, then I can share what I love to use with others outside the classroom. Thank you for sharing. I feel like someone understands where I am coming from.

    ReplyDelete