Monday, August 22, 2016

#flipclass FlashBlog On Parents, Support, and Homework

I try to keep the parents of my students informed about what is going on in my classroom. I could always do a better job.

I have one main "parent goal" for this coming year. I would like to get more feedback from parents about what is/isn't working for their child in my class. I collected email addresses at the beginning of the year and plan to form groups so I can send reflection forms to parents similar to what I have students complete throughout the year.

The biggest problem is finding the time to get all of that set up. Since I'm still in the process of finding my groove, email groups have been low on the priority list. But I don't want to forget about them.



Support from parents and administration for my flipped classroom has been amazing. My admin has been behind me from the beginning, and as positive comments started coming in from parents and students, support strengthened.

The only question I've been asked by a parent was during the Open House at the beginning of my first flipped year: "Are YOU making these videos?" OK...there were two questions. The follow-up question was "How are you going to have time to do this?"

Parent feedback is always positive. I hear from parents from time to time; I hear from their children what they are saying at home. I've even heard positive parent comments from tutors who work with my students.

I assign my videos as homework. There. I said it.

My videos are short (10-15 minutes), and I keep them to about 3 videos a week (sometimes more, sometimes less).

Parents and students appreciate the manageable, light homework load. Parents appreciate that they no longer have to try to figure out how to help their students with their math homework. They appreciate that they get to know me in a way as they listen to videos their child is watching.

Moving direct instruction outside the classroom allows me to do things in the classroom I would otherwise not have time for.

I am grateful for supportive parents and a supportive administration. I like the format of my flipped classroom and what it does for my students. I look forward to continuing to improve all its facets.

2 comments:

  1. I'm also flipping my math classes! I just completed my first full year, but this is my third year implementing the idea(I used it for two partial years).

    I have found similar support from my admin and parents. I'm excited to make changes for next year already!

    Do you have a forum where students can post questions they have about your lessons? I've learned that students (and parents) would like a chance to quickly get misconceptions worked out rather than wait on individual help from the teacher. Does my question make sense?

    Anyway, keep up the good work! I look forward to continuing to follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, reading, and leaving a comment!
      My flipped classroom continues to evolve; each new change is a little scary but exciting at the same time.
      We use Google Classroom, so students are able to ask questions that the whole class can see or post a question directly to me.
      Students rarely ask questions about the lesson they've just watched in this manner (that's a great idea, and I should encourage it more). They mostly enjoy posting mistakes I made that they found. :)
      Thanks for connecting. I loved my flipped family!

      Delete