Saturday, January 28, 2017

You've Come a Long Way, Baby!


I'm a pretty reflective person. I guess that's obvious, given this blog and all, but I've been reminded again this week of the power of reflection.

I just completed two projects that required me to look at my classroom and my teaching, examining what I do and seeing how far I've come. One project looked at my teaching as a whole and one was more focused on my flipped classroom.

And I found the process...emotional. No kidding, I cried after the second project was finished.

I am NOT where I could be. There is more to learn, more to change. Way more than I care to think about.

But I am so far from where I started.

I'm thankful for all those who have contributed to and are a part of my growth. People in my building, district, community, and people all around the country. A few, even, around the world.

I ended this week with a renewed thankfulness for what I do. I love my job. It's hard, and it takes almost everything I have to give.

But it's who I am. My gift. My calling.

By the grace of God, I am thankful to be called a teacher.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think teachers ever stop growing and improving on how we teach. Here I am 30 plus years and I still teach differently every year. Taking time to stop and reflect on my teaching was something I ignored for many years. Blogging helped me to take the time to do that and I'm sure your projects and blogging help you as well. You have inspired me to try a flipped class which is really hard to do. Keep it up and I love to see the pictures of your students working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting, Jan! I have so appreciated your ideas and input and encouragement. I just decided last week to renew my National Board Certification this spring, and in gathering my thoughts about my entries, our conversations and collaborations stand to be a key part of what I write about!

      Delete