Friday, August 7, 2020

The Times, They Continue to Change #MTBoSBlaugust

 In the middle of July, dates on the school calendar - most notably, start dates - began to change. We had a couple of changes within a few days of one another. I tweeted:

"I have a feeling this is going to be an 'only use pencil in the planner' year."

While this was not an earth-shattering revelation to anyone involved with a school in the coming year, I can claim I was right.

Today was the first day back for teachers, and one of the first things we learned was that the calendar will be changing again, along with how we plan to have students in the building and follow the state health department's guidelines for schools.

The student start date has been pushed back three more days to give us a little more time to plan and prepare for everything that is new and different in this unprecedented (there's that word again) school year.

Our model for students who have chosen in-house school is now what we are calling "hybrid." We will see half of our students on Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday will be a "deep clean" day, and we will see the other half of our students on Thursday and Friday. Learning will be synchronous, so students will be learning the same thing in a day whether they are at home or in school.

I think this will work pretty well with my rough plan for the year. I'll have to adjust my ideas for the "weekly handout packet," but I think I almost have it figured out.

Next week we'll have department meetings and more information about what the hybrid plan should look like, and I will begin revising and refining my plans.

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean - I'm super grateful for my erasable gel pens right now LOL :) I hope your pre-planning days go well! :)

    ReplyDelete