Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Technology Integration for the '14-'15 School Year

It's Day 2 of TeachThought's 30-Day Blogging Challenge:  Reflective Teacher!

Today's topic:  "Write about one piece of technology you would like to try this year, and why.  You might also write about what you're hoping to see out of this edtech integration."

I'm not trying any new technology this year (that I know of at the moment); I'm looking to become more proficient with, and make better use of, technology we already have:  iPads.  Teachers in our system were given iPads in the spring of 2013.  We went 1:1 with iPads in grades 6-12 in the fall of 2013.



Last school year my integration of the iPads was pretty limited.  I made good use of our learning management system, Edmodo, and we used the iPads in my classroom primarily for textbooks and QR code scanners.

This year I've flipped my Algebra 1 classes, so I'm using the app Explain Everything to record lessons, and students are accessing those videos through YouTube links on Edmodo or downloading them into iTunes U.

I discovered Kahoot! this summer and have already used it several times.  The kids love it.

I hope to take advantage of Edmodo's Snapshot feature, giving common core-type formative assessments to see how my students are progressing on standards.

I still wrestle with the idea of becoming a paperless classroom.  While I love technology and what it does to enhance my classroom, there's a lot of old school math teacher left in me.  I am a paper-and-pencil girl.  I still sketch out my lesson plans each week in writing before typing them up and submitting them via Google Drive.  I still keep a handwritten gradebook.  I like holding real paper and giving feedback with a real pen.  I also have students who still prefer to write on real paper with a real writing utensil.

I do plan to try more digital assignments this year, though.  I know as I get more experience with it, I will become more comfortable with the idea.

While I am slower than some in the integration of technology in my classroom, I always make sure that I use what works for me and my students.  I may be slow, but I do eventually get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment