Skip to main content

Testing, 1, 2, 3....

So...my first blog post.  I'm typically very talkative, but right now I'm feeling scared speechless.

I'm sure I'll loosen up soon enough. :)

Why am I beginning a blog?  Well...I've decided to "flip" my eighth grade Pre-AP Algebra 1 classes this year.  For many of our lessons students will watch a 5-15 minutes direct instruction video at home, and class time will be used for practice and application of concepts.

My goal is to make better use of the time I have with students in class.  I want students to be able to practice concepts when I am available to help them.  I want to be able to have more one-on-one time with students and their particular issues with material.

I have been reading books, watching videos, listening to podcasts, and following other "flippers" on Twitter.

And I have been convinced to go for it.

I will be using the app Explain Everything to make videos.  So far, I have created guided notes in Smart Notebook, exported them as PDFs, and uploaded them to Explain Everything.

I begin making videos tomorrow.

I am a bit hesitant to try to blog about my experiences.  The process of flipping my Algebra 1 classes is going to be very time intensive, and I really don't see how I'm going to make all the videos I want to make AND keep up with a blog.  But Crystal Kirch's blog (http://flippingwithkirch.blogspot.com) convinced me to record my experiences, so I have something to go back and read and remind myself of what worked and what didn't.

So here I am.  No pressure, though.  I'm not going to make a schedule or tell myself I have to blog so many days a week.  My goal will be once a week, but if I miss a week I won't stress about it too much.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. Best wishes Mrs Gibbs. Glad you are testing the blog waters. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'm a nervous wreck. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Find my Groove

#flipclass FlashBlog On Parents, Support, and Homework

That's a Wrap (...but Always Planning)

#flipclass Flash Blog: Building a Positive Classroom Culture

End-of-Year Student Reflections and Evaluation