Saturday, August 3, 2019

Back in My Happy Place #MTBoSBlaugust

I'm participating in the August Blog Challenge of the Math Teacher/Twitter Blog-o-Sphere (MTBoS). Some of my participation will be through my Instagram teacher page (mrsgibbsmathmatters).

If I can remember to tag my posts, LOL.



Teachers went back to school this week on Thursday. My last day in the classroom, due to an unplanned leave, was November 16, 2018.

That's been about 8.5 months.

I did a few official things at and involving school during my leave, but it was a day here and a day there. A couple of emails here and a couple of emails there. Now I'm back in the deep end.

I mentioned in a previous post that I did not really miss school while on leave and wondered what would happen if I didn't want to go back. As I participated in events - school functions, professional development - I realized I DID want to return to the classroom.

I've still had some (minor) anxieties. Would I still feel like I belong? Would I feel like a first-year teacher all over again? Am I still an okay teacher? Do I still "have it"?

Most of my fears have been alleviated over the past two days. AJHS is still my family, and I still feel very much a part of it. So many people let me know how happy they were to see me, and each time it strengthened my heart a bit more.

I don't feel - too much - like I'm starting over. I mostly feel like I'm picking up where I left off.

As I was working in my room Thursday afternoon - friends and colleagues buzzing about in their rooms, popping in to say, "Hi" or ask a question or chat for a few minutes - I thought, "I've missed this!"

I won't know if my teaching skills have remained intact until next Wednesday (LOL), but I'm not *too* nervous about it.

I am thankful for the time I was able to be home. I was where I was supposed to be, I enjoyed it, and I pray to see the fruits of that decision over time.

But I'm back in my (other) happy place. And I have meant it with all my heart every time I have said, "I'm glad to be back."

No comments:

Post a Comment