Thursday, September 18, 2014

Teaching Is....

It's Day 18 of TeachThought's Reflective Teacher 30-Day Blog Challenge!

"Create a metaphor/simile/analogy that describes your teaching philosophy."

When discussing unmotivated and/or unwilling students, you will often hear frustrated teachers say, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."  Somewhere I have read an addition to this saying:  "You can, however, make it thirsty!"

Source: nea.org
That's my philosophy.  My job.  Make students thirsty.  Make them curious.  Make them feel secure so they are willing to take a risk.

The drinking of the water...the learning...will follow.  Whether or not the students were originally motivated or willing.

2 comments:

  1. I love that saying. i hadn't heard it before:) What a great philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even remember where I read it, but I think it's appropriate.

      Delete