Skip to main content

Tools for Student Reflection

It's Day 19!  I can't believe we're in the second half of September.  Time flies when you're having fun, I guess.

Today's prompt by TeachThought for the 30-Day Blog Challenge is, "Name three powerful [ways] students can reflect on their learning, then discuss closely the one you use most often."

I primarily use 3 different tools for student reflection.

"Exit Slips" allow students to show if they have mastered a skill we've been learning.  They work a few problems, I check their work and make notes, and then I return the slips to them. We discuss issues either individually, in small groups, or as a class.

I use "Quick Writes" for students to tell me in words HOW to do a process. Being able to move from numbers and symbols to words is very important in a student's understanding of mathematics. I try to refine a student's mathematical vocabulary as I look through "Quick Writes."

My favorite tool for student reflection is more of an actual reflection.  I might ask students to give me a "3-2-1" about a topic:  3 things they understand, 2 things that are unclear, and 1 question they have or something they wonder about the topic.  I've also done a "traffic light" - green for "I got this!", yellow for "I'm getting there but a bit confused," and red for "Help! I'm lost!" Students give me information on why they chose a particular color.

I learn a tremendous amount when I ask students to tell me where they are in their understanding of a topic and what specifically they are needing help with.  I can address issues individually or with a class, and I can adjust my instruction as needed.

My belief in the importance of student reflection continues to grow.  Part of the maturation process involves becoming more self-aware.  And if students are able to realize by themselves - with a little bit of prompting - where their difficulties are, they can begin to take more responsibility for their learning and take steps to improve their understanding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Find my Groove

#flipclass FlashBlog On Parents, Support, and Homework

That's a Wrap (...but Always Planning)

#flipclass Flash Blog: Building a Positive Classroom Culture

End-of-Year Student Reflections and Evaluation