Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Pythagorean Stackin' #flipblogs

Twas the day after Labor Day. As has been the case the past several years, we were on an activity schedule for a pep-rally. Shortened classes. Excited students. Brains a little rusty after the three-day weekend.

On Friday, Algebra 1 looked at how to use the Pythagorean Theorem to find unknown sides of right triangles.

Today was our practice day, using one of my favorite activities: Pythagorean Stacks.


I got the activity from Jan at Equation Freak (who has since retired). It's a great activity to not only practice using the Pythagorean Theorem but to also hone those diagram-interpreting skills. I've blogged about the activity before.

Students did well with the activity. Once they saw how to use the diagram to find the information they needed, most of them took off with it. (In the rush of each class period, it never even crossed my mind to take any pictures of kids working!)

Due to the shortened classes, we will finish the activity tomorrow. Then we'll move into the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem before looking at applications of the theorem.

(By the way, I've used Jan's Pythagorean Short Stacks with my Pre-Algebra kids. The diagram is a little more straightforward and accessible to my inclusion students.)

No comments:

Post a Comment