Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Why I STILL Love Flipping #flipblogs

I was so proud of my Algebra 1 students today.


I blogged last week about introducing them to flipped lessons. We watched 2 videos as a class. Monday, they watched one in class but individually.

Then I assigned 2 videos for the rest of the week, one due today and one due Friday.

Last year, I didn't assign videos for homework. But it really slowed me down. Some things that could have been done in one day took two days, and I didn't get to all my content.

So, this year, I decided to assign some videos for out-of-class viewing.

I was a little worried that my first assigned video was on a football night. It was only a 13-minute video, but game nights are challenging. And then we had storms come through last night with widespread internet outages.

I have never made a huge deal out of videos not being watched at home - sit down & watch the video and join the activities when you're finished - but it does put kids a little bit behind, and they miss some in-class practice time.

I decided there would probably be a good many of my students who did not watch last night's video, so I prepared for that.

First Period comes in this morning, and EVERYONE had watched the video. Even the student who had been absent the previous two days! Out of 4 class periods and almost 80 kids, only 4 had not watched the video!

I remembered two big reasons I love flipping:
1) Accessibility - students watched the video in their study hall yesterday, some watched it after the power came back on last night, some got up a few minutes early this morning to watch it. It was there when they were able to watch it.
2) Student ownership - two students who were absent yesterday watched the video. I LOVE this. It's responsibility at its highest level. "I wasn't at school, but I don't have to get farther behind."

I was so proud of my students. After a night that gave several reasons for excuses - some of them likely valid - they all stepped up and took control of their learning.

In just a few days, I have been reminded of why I choose to flip lessons. And I still love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment