Sunday, September 23, 2018

The Necessary Evil #flipblogs

It's possible for me to actually get 20 blog posts by the end of September, so here I am, blogging on a Sunday night.

And since today's school task is getting a set of test papers graded, the post is about grading.

Ugh.

To me, it's a necessary evil.


I know why I gotta do it, but I don't like it.

I'm all about feedback. I want to know how kids are progressing, I want the kids to know how they are progressing, but I don't need marks and a number on a piece of paper to do that.

In fact, since going #flipclass, I know better than ever what my students know and understand and where they need more work. I spend more time with them while they work through material than I ever did before.

And besides all the philosophical/pedagogical/whatever-ical reasons I'd like to see grading go away, one of the biggest frustrations for me is finding the time to do it. There is no time at school. My class periods are full. Of, you know, teaching.

When I'm not teaching and interacting with students, I'm planning. Getting ready for the next day, the next week, the next thing.

I stay at school late almost every day.

Then I have my personal and family activities.

By the time I finally sit down and try to catch my breath, I'm exhausted. I just want to go to bed. And I need to go to bed because being over-tired is never a good thing.

But then papers aren't graded.

So...that has been my current issue. WHEN do I get the grading done I'm supposed to do?

It gets done. Eventually. But it sure is a stressor.

And with that said...I'm off to finish grading those papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment