Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Staying Limber #flipblogs

I try to stay flexible as a teacher, but there are times when the realization that what I have scheduled is not going to work in the timeframe I envisioned freaks me out.



It happened this week.

I had mapped out the week, and a test nicely fell on Friday.

Then the students started sharing what all was going on in their classes this week. Including - for some of them - 3 tests on Friday.

As teachers, we try to work together to make sure students aren't slammed. We move things around and reschedule when we need to. But I have to confess my first thought is, "AAAAAHHHHH! The test has to happen on Friday!!!!"

After thinking about the week, what *had* to get done and what I'd *like* to get done, and what my options were, I decided to give the kids a say.

I let them vote on moving the test one day earlier or keeping it (and the other scheduled tests) on Friday.

By more than 2-to-1 margin, they chose to move the test up.

So today, I changed my original plan. Students had a work day. They could work on their practice test (which I don't often spend class time on) and ask questions.

The test is tomorrow.

Everything's going to be OK.

And the best part: I gained a day this week. That hardly ever happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment